Sunday, March 14, 2010

Kyoto



Monday, March 15, 2010

We are now safely in Kyoto. Yesterday, we visited various temples and castles such as the Kigo Castle. We learned about the Japanese emperors and their role in society. Surprisingly, unlike European royalty, the emperor had very little money and about as much power. We also learned about the samurai, and the shogun (samurai literally meaning "to serve"), and how they served the emperor. We also were lucky enough to visit the Moss Garden, as very few people have been able to see it since it was closed to the general public 40 years ago. They have really awesome vending machines here. The photo you see above is of me in front of one. They have tons of North American brands here. The McDonalds are way better here.

Anyway,

This is Jack signing off.

4 comments:

  1. What a great photo in front of that inviting vending machine. You look rested but I know that time conversion is hard. Thea and Nina are building a fort in the bedroom while I type. Love annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack: I forgot. The moss garden sounds wonderful. Did you get photos. Think of the beautiful moss we get as the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I did get photos Annie. Will show you when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I just made a post on my Dad's account.

    ReplyDelete